Thursday, February 4, 2010

Bread dough, #2

It was great to have a discussion, and see the results of the first bread assignment, before starting working on the second bread project. Talking about what worked, and what didn't, helped to focus my process for the second assignment. I really liked Caroline's raw piece, and tried to replicate the raw-meat quality of the dough in my own project. Also, I was interested in the way that dough "membranes" (a word that I never use, but which I found really descriptive when used in the class discussion) can describe forms and and shapes articulated by other elements. For this piece, I used wire mesh and wire to drape thin sheets of dough. I also experimented more with finding ways to reinforce the dough invisibly, giving the material the appearance of being more structurally sound than it actually is. I think color, which I didn't add until later in the process, was important in making the piece more coherent. I really enjoyed seeing everyone else at work, and the moments of collaboration and exchange that happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment