Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Foil, food, play, etc.

I was disappointed we never got a chance to play in the snow, although I really enjoyed the class lunch, I think it's important for us all to be comfortable with each other, and open to communicating in order for the class to be successful> I really enjoyed Richard's slideshow-- it's nice to see the creative process of the people you're getting feedback from.

I really enjoyed the foil project, and I loved that every time I came to work over the weekend, most of the class was also there, and people were interacting and giving feedback and jumping rope (!!!).

It's always interesting collaborating with a new person, and finding a space for ideas to mesh. Ultimately I was happy with our collaboration, although I don't know if I came away 100% satisfied with the piece. I think I got sucked into the idea of weaving, and maybe that wasn't the most appropriate way to build the chair (although our other attempt to build a table instead wasn't right either). I enjoyed working with the material, but perhaps wasn't careful enough with it. Since we didn't have an 100% clear idea of the what hte final product was going to be when we started, we had to do some editing along the way, and I think that hurt the integrity of the material (i.e. unwanted creases and crinkles). I liked the illusion we created, I liked the fact that we were able to modify our original plan as we went, although maybe it's better for me to work with someone more confrontational-- I think being challenged, and having to really defend my ideas helps me make better art.

Since I am retaking the class this semester (although it's been very different so far, and I'm sure will continue to be with a very different group of people), I've been thinking a lot about what my goals are for the semester, what I got out the class last semester, and what more I think I can get out of it. I think I have a much better idea of my creative process, a better sense of how far I can push something, and when it's time to switch gears and change directions. In some ways I'm interested in exploring the types of things that I am studying (public art and community engagement, etc.), but I also am afraid of getting myself out of creative mode and into academic mode, and I think there's the possibility of producing painfully didactic and boring work if I do that. I guess it's all a balancing game.

I was feeling out of sorts today in class-- maybe nervous about the presentation I had to give, but for whatever reason not engaged. I need to find a way to use class time more effectively, so that I can get feedback from classmates during the class period, rather than I'm working (mostly) by myself and have a project dilemma. I think it's important we striek the right balance between work and play.

No comments:

Post a Comment