Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Bench and next collaborative project

I liked the furniture project, although I was not completely satisfied with how the piece turned out, in terms of structural integrity. The biggest challenge for me was to figure out the angles of the seat-backs, but I eventually got it right. It's a project that I would like to revisit and revise at some point, but not right now.

I'm not really feeling 2x4s as a building material right now-- I'm not feeling that engaged by the idea of making functional objects, or furniture. I think part of the problem is that I had a chance to go to a bunch of exhibits in New York this weekend, and I came back with lots of ideas that aren't particularly compatible with the current project. It's making it hard for me to get really excited about any ideas for this next project.

I really love the peach-toned plastic sheeting material. Lots of possibilities for provoking visceral reactions, including one idea involving glass eyes (although we might have to abandon that, given shipping times, etc. Oh well).

Right now the things I'm feeling most excited about are:

Pop-up books as drawing/sculpture hybrids
Paper-cut drawings or stop motion animation
Video projection onto unusual surfaces, with a sound component.

I saw a really fabulous show at MOMA of the work of William Kentridge, a South African artist. Below is the link to the show website. Click "explore themes." You can view excerpts of a lot of the works. In the section "Ubu and the Procession", the piece "Shadow Procession" is fantastic. IN "Soho and Felix", "Tide Table" is really great.:

http://moma.org/interactives/exhibitions/2010/williamkentridge/flash/index.html

Also, on youtube there is a video of these theaterboxes he builds, and fils with projected images, screens, video, and animatronic elements:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn38eZC84oo

No comments:

Post a Comment